Subscribe to our newsletter for monthly tax tips:

CFS Procedures

Learn About Our Services

What Information Do I Need To Provide To Get My Tax Return Prepared?

It would be difficult to provide an extensive list of tax information a person needs to provide to have their tax return prepared.  However, here are some suggested steps to follow as well as documents to look for each tax year:

1) Review your prior 2-3 years tax returns for reoccurring income and deduction items, such as wages, investment accounts, interest and dividend income sources, mortgage interest and various other items.

2) Review your children’s or other dependent’s prior year tax returns as well as their current tax information for information to provide.  Many parent’s tax returns are significantly impacted by how children report their income.

3) Here is a list of common tax documents for individuals.  However, not all may apply to you, so this is a general list of tax documents:

        a. Names, Addresses, phone numbers, email addresses, Social Security numbers, and Dates of Birth for you, your spouse and all dependents to be claimed;

        b. Prior 2 years’ tax returns if we did not prepare them;

        c. W-2 documents from all employers, both yours, your spouse, and your children that you claim them as a dependent;

       d. A copy of your last paystub for the end of the tax year as it may show tax related information not reported on your W-2;

       e. Amount of Alimony Paid or Received for the tax year and the Social Security number of the person you paid/received it from;

        f. 1099-B documents from all investment accounts, including children if being claimed as a dependent;

       g. 1099-Div documents from all investments, including children if claimed as a dependent;

       h.1099-Int from all bank and investment related accounts, including children if being claimed as a dependent;

       i. 1099-Misc for non-employee compensation, Rents, Royalties, Other Income, etc.

       j. K-1’s received from any partnership or S-Corporation interest owned for the tax year;

      k. 1099-R statements for all annuity, pension, and IRA distributions received;

      l. If you or your spouse is 70 ½ or older or if you or your spouse have an inherited an IRA, please provide the Form 5498 for the tax year or last two December statements for all IRA and 401K accounts;

    m. SSA-1099 statements for all persons receiving Social Security Benefits;

    n. W2G for any gambling winnings as well as a schedule of your gambling losses.

    o. IRA Contributions made for the tax year and whether for a Roth or Traditional IRA;

    p. Simple, SEP, or other qualified pension contributions made for the tax year;

    q. 1099-Q statements for payments made from qualified educational plans;

    r. Summaries for any educational expenses, such as computers, equipment, internet access for the beneficiary of any 529 plans;

    s. 1098-T -Tuition Payment Statement for all colleges you or your dependents are attending;

    t. 1098-Student Loan Interest Statement for all student loans;

    u. Closing statements for the purchase and/or sale of your home or other real estate;

    v. 1098-Mortgage Interest Statement for all home loans;

    w. Property taxes paid during the tax year;

    x. Dependent Care Costs for all dependents and the names, addresses, and Social Security number or Federal Employer Identification number of all who provided care for each dependent during the tax year;

    y. All documents related to any vehicle purchases, such as receipts & manufacturer certification of various vehicle credits;

    z. 1095-A or Similar 1095 Statement (s) from your insurance provider.

   aa.1099-HSA which reports any HSA distributions to you for out of pocket medical expenses

   bb. Detailed health expenses:

     · Insurance costs                 Doctor’s expenses                          Prescription Medicines

     · LTC insurance costs         Mileage related to medical

   cc. Any documents related to car accidents, storm damages to your home and other property;

   dd. Receipts and certifications of any energy related repairs & additions to your home, such as new appliances, roof repairs, insulation, & HVAC equipment;

   ee. Charitable Contribution details:

     · Amount of cash contributions to each charity;

     · Amount of non-cash contribution to each charity, detailing the current value and your cost of each non-cash contribution;

     . Charity Names, Addresses, and Donee ID’s;

   ff.   1099-G for any state paid funds such as unemployment compensation or state refunds;

  gg. A summary of your business expenses, such as for a farm, rental properties, or other businesses you or spouse operated as a sole proprietorship during the tax year.

  · Advertising                         Repairs & Maintenance                 Auto Mileage

  · Assets purchased              Rent/lease expenses                     Gross Revenue

  · Insurance                           Employment Taxes                        Office expenses

  · Travel                                 Wages                                           Utilities

  · Tax Payments                    Cost of Goods Purchased for Sale

  hh. Did you pay any vendor/contractor $600 or more by cash or check (Do not include payments by credit card in determining the $600 or more paid)?

   ii. Did you issue any Form 1099’s to vendors/contractors identified in the previous question?

   jj.    Do you have any financial accounts or signatory authority in foreign banks or other financial institutions?    If yes, what was the largest balance on a given day for the calendar year 2015?   Note that there are significant penalties for not reporting this information if the                balance        in the account or combined accounts was $10,000 or more on any given day during the tax year.

  kk.  Did you have any virtual currency holdings?

   ll. Voided Check for the bank account you wish to receive direct deposit of refunds or pay balance due for 2015 taxes out of your savings or checking account.

 mm.  If you have a Texas business entity, please provide the webfile number and the prior year revenue to support filing any extensions and the return.

  nn. Anything else that might be relevant to your tax situation.

How Do I DeliverThe Tax Information To You To Get My Tax Return Prepared?

Here are the most efficient ways to provide us tax documents:

1) Please provide all tax documents at once.  Providing partial sets of documents at varying times creates confusion on the status of your return, what documents are outstanding, and of course increases costs.

2) Logon to our portal at and upload your tax documents.  You will need to notify us once they are uploaded as we do not get notified when documents are received in the portal.  Your login should be your email address.  If you don't remember your password, you can have it reset and sent to your email.

2) Fax documents to 866-670-5212

3) Contact our office administrator at 214-308-9050 to schedule a time to drop off copies of your documents.  PLEASE PROVIDE COPIES AND NOT ORIGINALS.  We are able to shred copies, which protects your tax information from identity theft.